Amy Robertson

Great Targets by Charles Dickens

How can Charles Dickens use terminology to set the scene and introduce all of us to the character types and themes in the beginning chapter? In chapter 1 Dickens pulls you in and leaves you having a cliff hanger. The main points in phase one is a young boy named Pip who may be in a churchyard at his parent's fatal crying and shivering and conversation using a convict. Dickens introduces us immediately to Pip that is the narrator of the account looking back again on his own account as the you can tell this as Dickens presents Pip, ‘'my father term being Pirrip, and my Christian brand Philip, my own infant tongue could make of both brands nothing for a longer time or more precise then Pip'' dickens uses complex vocabulary with ‘'my infant tongue'' this displays how the elderly Pip is telling the storyplot in past tense. Small Pip is staring at the gravestones of his parents he has not met these people because they died immediately after his birth and his five little siblings. Pip tells us at present that he lives with his sibling ‘'Mrs Joe Gargery, who will be married into a blacksmith''. Section three identifies how the churchyard is following to marshes and units the field for some thing bad to take place. Dickens at the conclusion of passage three presents us to the convict and what this individual wants. In the third passage, Charles Dickens uses effective adjectives to spell out the landscape in which Pip lives, ‘'and that the darker flat wilds beyond the churchyard, intersected with dykes and mounds and gates, with scattered cattle feeding onto it, was the marshes; ''. Dickens gives you a sense of fear through a metaphor to describe the sea being a ‘'distant savage lair'' this is certainly linked to the sense that the marsh is a savage place, which relates to seen the convict as a afraid man to Pip as he will be presented. The words ‘'ours was a marsh country'', makes the marshes seem mysterious. Since Dickens procedes tell us that Pip is at a churchyard and models the scene for how the weather...